#navbar-iframe {display: none !important;}

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Birthday Love!


I've been trying to find that one moment in my life when I "become" an adult. There's got to be something defining that happens to people when they pass into adulthood and "grow up". I was starting to get worried that I had missed my moment or that it had come and gone and that iI'd never really be an adult
(until I got married.. but we'll have that discussion later). I'd have mature moments here and there, but overall I wasn't there yet. Quite frankly, I didn't even feel very close (I wear fake glasses, I like to play games, I think silly bands are awesome, I'd choose to live in a Harry Potter fantasy world).

But I turned 23 today and smacked
headfirst into adulthood. And I realized I had been there for a lot longer than I thought. My parents gave me furniture for my birthday and if that's not the indicator of maturity, then I don't
know what is. New bookshelves and a side table: best gifts I could have gotten.

Tonight at dinner and fellowship I shared with friends, I realized that most of them are adults. With kids. Those are the people I'd rather be around (I'll still be your friend if you're unmarried without kids). But looking around tonight at all the love I was feeling from my "grown up" friends, I realized that I'm one of them. I'm there! Of course there's still a lot of growing and maturing to do and I don't feel like I've reached any sort of destination, but I do feel a new chapter beginning. I feel new realizations. I can still wear my glasses and silly bands while playing a game and daydreaming about going to Hogwarts.. and still be an adult. Those childlike parts of me don't really have to die, do they?

Thanks to everyone who made me feel loved today! You know I send it all
right back.


p.s. Here are the books I'm reading next:
Searching For God Knows What : Donald Miller
The Me I Want to Be : John Ortberg
The Fellowship of the Ring : JRR Tolkien (you're welcome Todd)
A Million Miles in a Thousand Years : Donald Miller
Read with me!

6 comments:

  1. Linds I'm so glad you had an awesome birthday. I wish I could've been there!

    Also, thank you for the book list. I've been needing a starting point... I'm gonna read with you!

    See you in a week!

    Ps. TOTES know how you feel about "am i an adult? am i a kid still?" It doesn't go away when you get married. As a matter of fact, when you get married you get a major reality check that you are not NEARLY as mature as you thought you were.

    LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks trist, my really cool married friend! i appreciate your marriage maturity realizations.. you make me laugh.

    yay read with me! i'm still on searching for god knows what.. i think we talked about this the other day, didn't we? it's taking me forever because it's super challenging. but so so awesome. let me know when you start it!

    see you soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey!

    I just ordered online:

    Searching for God Knows What,
    Blue Like Jazz,
    Reason for God by Timothy Keller (my pastor suggested this one when I said that I like CS Lewis).

    I'll let you know when I start!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the reason for god.. that's a good one too. i haven't read it yet but it's on my bookshelf.. does that count?

    great choices trist. you are going to loooove donald miller.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ladies, i am currently reading 'searching for God knows what' for the third time and it gets better with every read. i was reading it as a refresher before i buy 'a million miles'
    - my church is doing a study on 'reason for God' so i was going to get that one too
    - and for fiction, i read the first chapter of "the wild things" by dave eggers (the novel he wrote to accompany the screenplay) and it is excellent...plan on amazoning that ish too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "the wild things": adding that to my list.
    'amazoning that ish': love it. you just keep getting cooler and cooler.

    ReplyDelete