#navbar-iframe {display: none !important;}

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Luke

It's one of those weeks where I find myself staring at the blank computer screen.
Not for lack of thoughts (there's always a million of them swimming up there), but for lack of knowing which ones to latch on to and entertain.

Where I find my thoughts circling back to is my recent journey through Luke. Saying it's an incredible book would be an understatement. It has taught me about Christ, pointed me to His Cross, showed me His life, dwelt on His promises. It's given me a different lens.

I couldn't really pick out what has spoken to me the most.
I loved the parable of the persistent widow in chapter 18 who kept asking for justice and kept coming back and coming back even when the judge refused. Her persistence was an ASSET to her in seeking justice (asset is one of my most treasured words).
I loved when Jesus describes the coming of the Kingdom in chapter 17 and tells the Pharisees that the Kingdom is in the midst of them. And that the return will be bright and unmistakeable and sudden.. but the Son of Man must suffer first. "The consummation of the kingdom requires that a divine event 'must' take place-- that is, the obligation that Jesus must first die according to God's plan to redeem a people for himself." (amazing!)
I loved Zacchaeus when he receives Jesus joyfully.
I loved the Great Banquet.
I loved when Jesus wept over Jerusalem.
I LOVED the Transfiguration.
I loved chapter 21 verses 27-28: "And then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. Now when these things begin to take place, STRAIGHTEN UP AND RAISE YOUR HEAD, BECAUSE YOUR REDEMPTION IS DRAWING NEAR."

Learning from Luke has been about seeing things with a different lens.

There are people I didn't really like, speakers I hated listening to, places I hated to be. But when you take off the glasses of selfishness, arrogance, and pride, a new perspective changes everything. See that sad little man up in that tree? He must really be passionate about seeing Jesus! See that weird poor lady giving Jesus two small coins? Look at her incredible faithfulness! See the homeless people and the people begging for money? See the people that Jesus cares so much for!
The people and places I originally disliked have become some of the things I hold dearest to my heart.

You determine your attitude. You determine what you think about someone, how you choose to see them, what you want to remember about them. You choose what lens you want to use.
You can choose to hold on to hurt, to withhold forgiveness, to make others feel condemned and accused. Or you can live like you know Jesus saved you and like you know Who holds your bigger picture.

Surrender the people you can't love, daily lift your situations up in prayer, and seek the Scriptures.

I've heard the song "With Everything" a bunch of times before.. but tonight, I heard it differently. I'd always sung it as a surrender of material things and life decisions and a proclamation of trust. But tonight I sang WITH EVERYTHING.
With our hurt, WE WILL SHOUT FOR YOUR GLORY.
With our pain, WE WILL SHOUT FORTH YOUR PRAISE.
With our unwillingness, BE LIFTED HIGH ABOVE ALL NAMES.

With everything: when circumstances don't seem to be going our way. When forgiveness is just too hard. When you don't want to move on. When you're moving on in the wrong direction. When there are uncertainties. When there is doubt.

We choose to see things through the lens of the Cross of Christ
because that's where the greatest and most selfless act took place.



No comments:

Post a Comment