#navbar-iframe {display: none !important;}

Sunday, March 13, 2011

A Missional Life

At the beginning of the week, this blog was headed in a completely different direction.

My fellow bloggers and thinkers out there, does that ever happen to you too? You have bad days and you plan to write about that, you have thoughts that consume and you plan to empty your brain through the keyboard, or sometimes you don't even see the point in writing.
I can tell when my mind is on the brink of disaster, when it's at a crossroads. Even now, I can make my thoughts teeter between devastation or life, The Gospel or fear. And that's when all the songs I know, the Scriptures I've read, the words I've heard, the truths I know, the people I love come sprinting to my rescue and cry out for me to make the right choice. They block the way to that dark tunnel of thought and I'm reminded of truth, of love, of the Gospel. I remember that sin has been defeated, Jesus is stronger, He has saved and set me free.
And I think, "I'll write about that instead!"

That's why it's so important to have your arsenal and armor ready for the moments when you need to make a choice.

And because I've made a better choice,

I started reading Acts this week. And right away it knocked me off my feet. In Acts 1, right before Jesus ascends into heaven, the disciples are gathered around Him asking if now was the time for the restoration of the kingdom of Israel. But Jesus answers, "It is not for you to know times or seasons that the Father has fixed by his own authority. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth (1:6-8)."
Jesus is pretty clear about what to do with our time here, isn't He?

But. What does that look like?

My good friend Todd gave a sermon back in August on how to live when the alarm clock goes off. It's pretty awesome stuff (watch it here. now. click 'view past services' + 'one shot' series.) but he asks the question of what gets you up in the morning; what are you living for? How will you choose to live each day? Jesus tells us in Matthew 25 to live committed, faithful, compassionate lives until we die or He returns, whichever comes first. Live committed to Jesus, be faithful with what you've been given, be compassionate towards everyone. Todd challenges with the question: how will you influence the day before the day influences you?

I reflect on that now and see that means in everything. Every interaction we have, every person we encounter.. are they leaving more or less like Christ? Every situation we're in.. are we bringing Christ into it? Are our entire days being influenced by our Savior? How you talk to your co-workers, the barista at Starbucks, your spouse, your parents. How you dress, how you carry yourself. How you talk, what words you choose to say. How quick you forgive, how slow you are to anger. What you read, how you spend your free time. Who you surround yourself with, how often you ask for help.
HOW. DO. YOU. LIVE?
I think we can get caught in the funk and routine of just existing. But God has called us to LIVE and to live faithfully, compassionately, and committed. In everything.
I've had conversations with friends lately as my mind has been swirling with questions-- How do you live here amidst the in your face brokenness!? What are we doing here on earth!? What does this all look like?! Part of my corner referenced Romans 8 this week and said, "We are heirs if we persevere in suffering. Our role then becomes perseverance and living as sons and daughters of God in the midst of a frustrated creation. Salt and light. We are witnesses of the coming re-creation of heaven and earth. Witnesses of God's industry to restore that which has been ruined. Without our witness, our testimony, how can people hear and know that Jesus is making all things new?"

Another crucial part of my corner added these truths.. that this earth is our home. Revelation 21 talks about a new Jerusaleum coming down out of heaven and says "behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away (21:2-4)."
Emmanuel. God with us.
Heaven isn't our final resting place. Jesus is coming back to restore Eden HERE. Our jobs are to prepare: to help restore ourselves, others, and the earth for His return. Choosing, when the alarm clock goes off, to live each day as Christ lived. We've got some pretty important things to do as we live by God's timing.

(I've got a pretty great corner, don't I? People who know who this loving and just and righteous and sovereign and holy God of restoration, redemption, and resurrection is. They know Who to point me to).

So my words for you:
Community. Community. Community.
Scripture. Scripture. Scripture.
Prayer. Prayer. Prayer.

Anytime you hear a voice or have a thought that says you don't need other people and you should just crawl into yourself and be alone, run fast from it! When you get a thought that says you need a break from the Bible, take that thought captive and replace it with truth! When you hear something that says you're too busy or not worthy to approach God in prayer, flee from it! Those thoughts are not from God.
The early church in Acts 2:42-47 was a fellowship of believers who were devoted to a life of Christ. Daily they submitted to Him through Jesus and the apostles' teachings, the breaking of bread, prayer, togetherness, commonality, generosity, gracious hearts, worship, praising God.. and "THE LORD ADDED TO THEIR NUMBER DAY BY DAY THOSE WHO WERE BEING SAVED." He's sovereign in salvation. He promises new life.

When we are faithful with ourselves and with others and then we leave the rest up to Him, He is faithful in working in us. When we live out the message of the cross, we influence those around us. When we let the Gospel influence our day, we live for Christ and prepare ourselves, others, and this earth for His return.

The alarm clock went off this morning. How are you living today?

No comments:

Post a Comment