#navbar-iframe {display: none !important;}

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Our God Reigns

God is so mysterious, isn't He? So amazing. My little pea brain can't wrap itself around Him and the way He works (although trust me, it tries). The ways in which He loves, reveals, redeems. It's all so unfathomable. I've learned to be thankful for the mystery because it makes God seem so BIG and IN CONTROL. He reigns.

I got to sit in the presence of the cross today. An actual wooden cross. For those that know me, they know my mind is my biggest struggle, the biggest way satan sidelines me. But kneeling at the cross tonight, God felt SO BIG. I sat, kneeled, prayed, read the Bible, started thinking.. and then stopped. I had this overwhelming presence of calm and safety that said "Just rest in Me. Rest. Because I AM BIGGER."

I didn't want to get up. The shadow of the cross was so big and so calm: it covered everything. My sin, my shame, my fears, my worry, my thoughts: they seemed to shrink and shrink and shrink in the presence of love.
I know I won't be able to spend time in front of a wooden cross everyday. It's about daily finding that same peace and sense of safety and having that same experience by remembering what Jesus did on that cross. It's about daily saying "I love you Jesus" and knowing I can rest in His love and promise. It's stopping, resting, filling up, remembering, rejoicing in how God reigns over all.

A friend of mine told me once that when he was in the midst of a battle and struggling with what seemed like a fight that could never be won, he read something that told him that there was hope. There was hope that his battle could be defeated. It was as simple as that, but he believed it. And it changed him. And I think about that sometimes and I think about my struggles and I remember my friend's story and I know there's hope.

There's hope because GOD IS BIGGER. He's bigger than satan and the way this world is now and He's bigger than your struggles, temptations, and problems. He reigns. There's hope because HE DIED FOR US. His work on the cross crushes satan.

There's hope because nothing is more powerful than the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I hear the ways in which God reveals Himself to the people I know and it. blows. my. mind. It reminds me to take God out of the little box I've subconsciously put Him in and to rejoice in the ways He is all-powerful. He is good, amazing, beautiful, redemptive.. it gives me goosebumps thinking about the way He works.

One of my favorite blog posts of all time (read it) says this: "HE REIGNS. Bottom line is, no matter what life throws at us, at the end of the day, HE IS BIGGER."

Whew. What a relief.

Isn't it so comforting going through life knowing there's someone who holds all things together, who created you, who gifted you, who knows you, who loves you enough to die to give you an eternal inheritance and reconciliation?

Grace takes away the pressure, doesn't it?

When life feels unbearable and your problems feel endless and you feel like you can't escape, believe that there's hope. And why is there hope? Because we are saved by the Gospel! We were foolish, disobedient, led astray, hating one another until the loving kindness of our Father saved us. Not by anything we did, but by His mercy. HE HAS MADE US HEIRS. He richly poured out His blood and love through Jesus Christ. We are justified by His grace (Titus 3:3-7).

When things can't be explained, He reigns. When purposeless thoughts drive you crazy, He reigns. When you feel alone, He reigns. When there's division and destruction, He reigns. When the answer isn't clear, He reigns. When it seems never-ending, He reigns. When you can't find the words, He reigns. When fear takes hold, He reigns.

He reigns because He died for you.

Hope is found in Jesus. Stop and rest in His love. Feel safe in His promises. Rest in the shadow of the cross. Remember what Jesus did there.

Have peace because our God reigns.

No comments:

Post a Comment