#navbar-iframe {display: none !important;}

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Kids, Moms, and Families

I was thinking today as I was blog prepping: I have a lot to write about! Just watched The King's Speech (amazing movie) and am reading "The Jesus I Never Knew" by Philip Yancy (expect a blog series).. but I've settled on writing about my babysitting beach week.

I just spent the past week with 2 families, 8 kids, 1 beach house. What an amazing time! I played hard, loved well, and learned much. Each day was full, exhausting, fun, challenging, rewarding, adventurous. Built "car mountains" in the sand with a 2yr old and rode waves with a 8yr old. Rocked a 4 month old to sleep and played tag with a 5yr old. Did you know there's such a thing as an albino alligator? Yep, we saw one at the aquarium.

It melts my heart watching the most rascally little 5yr boy run around and be crazy and tough all day.. and then want you to sing him to sleep. Or when a 4yr girl looks at me walking down the beach and tells me we're going to be friends forever. Makes me smile when an 8yr old tells me I could be famous for fashion (girl doesn't know I live in jersey dresses all summer). Makes me laugh when I'm asked to explain what words like 'remember' mean ("remember means to.. not forget. forget? that means.. to.. not remember?").

I treasure the conversations. Have you ever sat down and just talked to a child? Asked them questions? Answered theirs? If you can get them to sit down long enough, it's really a cool experience. You get a glimpse into what they think about, what matters to them, what hurts their feelings, what makes them happy. It really is remarkable. The way kids react: think: respond: act are different and unique to each child. Their little personalities are formed and shaped and are evident from such a young age. It's so cool to watch complexities and uniqueness and observe the way they handle different situations. You can see sin natures, but you can also see love rise up.

It's been quite an adventure and journey and such a fun season in my life being a learner and observer of families. I'm learning something new everyday about families and parenthood and what kind of calling it is. I'm unraveling a whole new level of respect for mothers and fathers and what they do everyday. I'm observing and taking mental notes and shaping what I want my family to look like one day.

Reflecting on it now, I think one of the biggest things I've learned is respect. I have seen the most incredible mothers work up close and personal AND THEY WORK SO HARD. There are no breaks, no days off, no pay. But what a job. Their kids are AMAZING. I watch their actions, the way they respond, how deep they love, how they discipline, and it moves me. It's humbling. They remind me of Christ from the Gospels. I wake up feeling grateful for the women in my life who have little ones and who are influencing me for mine someday (you know who you are: thank you!!).

When I get to spend time with children, it really is a favor to me. When I get to spend time with a mother, it really is a joy to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment