#navbar-iframe {display: none !important;}

Monday, March 19, 2012

No Excuses

I've been thinking more and more on a different way of living. Sanctification and the process of renewal is never-ending - there are always new ways that God renews and redeems and keeps working in me and through me. So lately, I've been thinking on thinking (always. I am always thinking on how to change my thinking. always). Having a new mindset.

It's so easy to make excuses, isn't it? Is that just me? There's always a defensive mindset, attitude, words that come up so quickly - 'I didn't mean to' or 'I meant to' or 'this is what I meant..' and really what it attempts to say is 'let me make sure you don't see me any differently. I'm still awesome, right?'

I mean, what is that?? Why is it so natural!?

That has to be a self-centered tendency in us that says we've got to make it out in a good light. It's a way of living that screams insecurity in identity. It puts emphasis on actions over heart, self over others, worry over assurance. An excuse is really that ridiculous.

I've been reading awesome bits and wise pieces of Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren (lots more blog posts to come on that) and one of his parts on servanthood and how to be in ministry as a servant has really been rocking me. He says, "service starts in the mind." Thinking like a servant. What an awesome challenge! Adopting humility, rooting your identity in Christ, dying to self, putting others first.

So maybe it's thinking like a servant.. all the time?
I think the two are connected - making excuses and thinking differently. They have to be. Because when we change our thinking to become more Christlike, we stop making excuses for mistakes we make or things that don't happen the way we wanted and we start being okay with it. Because it is okay! Our lives aren't grand adventures to make a lasting impression of ourselves, but to make the name of Jesus Christ famous. Making excuses and living me-centered is counterproductive to living a Gospel kind of life.

A Gospel servant centered life is identified by Christ.
Jesus says, come to me all who are weary and I will give you rest. Rest from impressing, seeking, striving, excusing, performing.

Warren also writes, "you must decide whether you want to impress people or influence people."
Impress or influence.
I love that. What a choice.

We are essentially all influences. Our actions, words, responses all have the opportunity to influence the people around us. So the choice comes in the acknowledgement of that influence - using it in the feverish, fruitless act of impressing others (self) or as an influence to something greater, our greater God. Choice of self or others. The best way to live an influence kind of life is to live dedicated to the best kind of influence - for Christ. Taking yourself out of the picture and giving yourself wholeheartedly away for the glory of God. At your work, your school, with your peers, your authorities, your parents, your siblings.

And then impressing people becomes a waste of time and excuses look oh so silly.
Live like a servant of Christ and be free.

No comments:

Post a Comment