#navbar-iframe {display: none !important;}

Monday, May 7, 2012

Be Free

I have a friend who says to me all the time - be free. It's funny and it's perfect but it's also a most brilliant reminder.

Be free.

And I find the more she says it, the more I say it and the more I say it, the more I am quick to remember it and believe it.

Sometimes I get anxious. About big things, big decisions, things I don't know the clear answer to. I worry and I think, think, think and overanalyze like crazy. I stress myself out. And then I find Scripture and prayer is cleansing.. and then I cycle back through.

I was driving home one day and those two words came to me - be free. And it hit me that I really was free. Free from this worry, this fear, this nervousness, and uncertainty. On the cross, Christ died to free us from all of these things that trip us up and lead us from Him and He rose again so we could surrender our lives wholly.

being free isn't just some movement of self-expression and claiming individuality.
being free doesn't mean doing whatever you want.
being free isn't a charge to rise above and stick it to the man!

being free is knowing you've been set free in Jesus and identity rests in Him alone.
being free is believing.

I'm currently in the middle of a fierce Beth Moore study on faith and believing God. Not just believing in Him, but believing Him. One of the biggest learnings for me so far has been in the action of faith. Beth Moore's been big in the verb tenses the Biblical writers are using and the words 'seek' and 'faith' - those are continuous. Over and over again. We seek God over and over again. We believe Him continuously. It is not a one time thing, but more a constant growth. A constant expression that we rest firmly in who God says He is, in what God says He can do, in who we are in God, in believing we can do all things through Christ, and in the living and active Word of God.

What has most fascinated me about reading the Old Testament prophets is the promise of restoration. There is terrible sinfulness and horrible destruction and the mourning and uncertainty of God's people - but in the midst of that, God says "you are my people. And I will restore you. I am your salvation." over and over again. He is a most faithful God. over and over again.

Be free in this truth!
God's plan is not one for us to worry and fret and get anxious and be confused. It is for good and for redemption and restoration and for us to give Him the whole of our lives. Breathe and seek freedom in Christ. Because He has come and lived and died and rose again to give you freedom from your own sin, your own unfaithfulness, your pursuit of self, and your worry. hallelujah!

No comments:

Post a Comment