#navbar-iframe {display: none !important;}

Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Love of a Savior

Jesus says in the 16th chapter of John, "I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the wold you will have tribulation. But take heart, I have overcome the world."

I have said these things to you..

Jesus is at the Passover feast, the Last Supper, with his disciples. He's washed their feet, he's broken bread, he's predicted a betrayal. He is to be crucified soon. And then he speaks.

Love one another.
How do we know the way to the Father? I am the way, Jesus says.
Abide in me, and I in you. Abide in my love.
I have called you friends.
I chose you, so that you may go and bear fruit.
Love one another.
The Spirit of truth is coming to dwell in you.
Your sorrow will become great joy and your joy will be full.
Love one another.
Love, love, love one another.

Love
so the world may know the name and the mission and the love of Jesus.

The hour is coming, the hour of death and great sorrow. The hour of death on a cross and separation from the Father. Jesus says, take heart, hear me, follow me, abide in me, and you will have peace. I have overcome the world. My death, oh this amazing love, has overcome the world by conquering sin and death. This king has come to bear a cross, not a crown. This overcoming has come through sacrifice and death, not from an army.

Love each other because I have loved you.

Jesus is rewriting love. Love is sacrifice, laying down a life, love as the Father loves the Son. Love isn't secondary or temporary or conditional. Love not as feeling or emotion. Love is to be the distinguishing mark of the disciples. Love is the fuel for obedience. Love is self-sacrificing. Love is the loving kindness of God our Savior. Jesus says, just as I have loved, so you must love one another. Just as I have loved you. Unconditionally, amazing, marvelous, wonderful, divine, sacrificing love.

The love of a Savior nailed to a cross. Oh the deep, deep love of the Savior.
On the altar of our praise, let there be no higher name. Jesus, Son of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment